Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day Seven

"Name a show or a movie that has changed you, and how."
        That ... is a hard question.  While I love reading and writing, I also love movies and TV.  Netflix becomes my best friend on days when it's too cold to check the mail, or when I'm not feeling well.
        I have so many favorite shows; Sherlock, Modern Family, The Simpsons, Vampire Diaries, Reign, How I met your Mother, the Big Bang Theory, the new Dracula on NBC, The UK Version of the Office, Derek, and more, I just can't think of them at the moment.  But there are two shows, two completely different types of genres, that I have have a massive impact on my life.
        Gilmore girls

        And Doctor Who.
     
        Now, I know what you're thinking.  WHOA, one fast paced witty dramedy and one seriously clever epic science fiction show.


        A lot of people don't understand my love and obsession with Gilmore girls.  It's the only show in the world that I can watch over and over again, and never get sick of it. People say "I don't like this show because no one is that quick witted in real life."  Well, it's a good thing it's a FICTIONAL TV SHOW then!


        It bothers me that people say that about a show like Gilmore girls, and then they go watch shows like Star Trek or Doctor Who or The Walking Dead.  Don't people understand what fiction means?  None of those shows could ever happen either, so why does something like the quick wittedness of Gilmore girls bother you?  Especially if you watch shows like Doctor Who or Sherlock! Both of those shows are quick and clever and normally always throw you for a loop, or leave you shocked.  Sherlock faked his own death, come on now!
        A part of me thinks that people wish they were that quick and that witty, because a lot of television now a days has become very quick witted and clever.  Gilmore girls is the king of pop culture references and I don't think I know anyone who actually know what much pop culture.  There have been times when I've had to Google what they were talking about.

        But Gilmore girls is funny, and never fails to make me feel better when I'm sick or sad or lonely or just needing to escape reality for a while, or forever, I'm good with either.  And just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's wrong. 
        Now, Doctor Who on the other hand... is the most epic, wonderful fairy tale you could ever imagine.
        Imagine if a man (or a woman...) fell out of the sky in a blue box that's bigger on the inside, told you it was not only a space ship, but a time machine, and wanted you to travel with him.
        You would be crazy to say no.
        It's also emotionally gripping, can make you cry your eyes out and Steven Moffat loves to mind fuck you.  Hard.
        My all time favorite episode is Vincent and The Doctor, because the end of that episode made me so hysterical, I had to pause it in parts just so I could calm down.  My son was looking at me like I was insane, and asked "Mommy, why are you crying?"

        I felt like I could relate to this interpretation of Van Gogh. Mind you, I watched this episode just weeks before entering the psychiatric facility at Strong Hospital, so you can kind of understand why this hit me so hard.
        I know that some people hate Steven Moffat (head writer), but I think he is brilliant and wonderful and even though he is surely a sociopath, he is also a fucking genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment