Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Day Twenty Two

"A month/year of your life when you were happiest and why?"

        End of July/August 2008 and End of April/May 2011, and of course, the day my son was born. 

        July 26, 2008 was the day I finally left Binghamton, aka the Vale, after almost three years, and moved back home.  Now I do not regret moving there.  Moving down there and getting outside of my comfort zone was a huge and wonderful learning experience for me, but I was lonely, and depressed, and after my sons father and I broke up, I needed to be free of it.  
        The last year I was there, I felt like there was this invisible device keeping me there, kind of like that Stephen King novel, Under the Dome.  No matter how badly I wanted to get out, I couldn't.  I think we all know by now I'm not a huge people person.  I'm shy and socially awkward and get very nervous in new social situations and end up saying the most embarrassing things. So, the only people I knew in Binghamton were my son's fathers family, and a few people I met at BCC, but because of my lack of ...outgoingness, I didn't make many real friends.  Luckily for me, one of those people from BCC also went to the same daycare and our kids were in the same class and we ended up becoming my best friend. Katie was the only thing that kept me going (besides Dylan) my last year in that city.  She is still one of my best friends to this day, even though we rarely get to see each other.  If it weren't for her, I probably wouldn't have survived that last year.  Leaving was something I needed to do, but I still miss her and think about her every day.  
        April 20, 2011 was the day I met my fiance, Matt. We'd met through Facebook through mutual friends, a friend I went to High school with, and her now husband, is Matt's best friend. I guess Matt had seen my picture on my friend page and said I was cute. I can't remember who friended who first, but I do remember it took him a while before he finally sent me a message and gave me his number. I sent him a text message later that day, and we texted for a few days before finally meeting.  
        I remember meeting him for the first time like it was yesterday.  He'd just gotten out of work and thought he looked a mess, but I just remember his smile. That smile made me melt inside, and still does today.  We got into his car and it smelled like cigars, so I asked if he smoked them.  He laughed and I was so embarrassed after he was like uhm no.  I looked up and saw one of those yellow trees you hang from the rear view mirror that said Vanilla, and noticed he smoked cigarettes.  It must have been the vanilla/cigarette combo.  
        Our first date was on a Wednesday.  We went to McArdles. I ordered a cheeseburger I couldn't eat because I was so nervous. I think I only took about two bites of it, then devoured the rest when I got home.
        We went out again that Friday with our friends. We were pretty much inseparable after that. May 1st is our official anniversary, until we finally get married. Maybe we'll do it on May 1st sometime in the future, who knows.  
        But until that happens, those days/times were the best of my life ... so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment