Monday, February 24, 2014

Day 55

"What inspired you to become a writer?" 

        My imagination.
        I have always loved writing ever since I can remember.  When I was in the 5th grade, I wrote a story for English class and we all had to read them out loud. It was one of the few experiences in my life that I wasn't scared because everyone in my class at the time really liked my story and was excited to listen.
        Then in the 6th grade, we wrote short stories for Halloween, and although I don't have the actual story anymore, I remember the title was "The Ghost In the Graveyard."  Our teacher read them all out loud to us and there was a prize at the end.  Everyone voted on a scale of 1-10 on how much they liked the story, and my story won. I think I got a candy bar or a sticker or something. After that, I mostly wrote personal stuff in a journal my mother gave to me one day.  A lot of it was about my only friend at the time, who I wasn't able to see, due to extenuating circumstances.
        I wrote "song lyrics" and emo poetry in high school, but at that point, I had too much anxiety to share any of it with people.
        My problem was that, even though I enjoyed writing, I didn't always like to read.  I had the idea in my head that I didn't want to read what other people wrote, I wanted to read what I wrote. I didn't mean it in a cocky, I think I just hated so much of the required reading we had to do in school, that it kind of ruined reading for me.
        And there were times I thought my ideas were better than what ever book I was forced to read at the time. I hated Shakespeare and The Fountain Head and I wasn't able to truly enjoy To Kill A Mockingbird until I was older and able to understand it better.

        My senior year in high school, I wrote this kick ass paper for PIG (Participation In Govt) that got me an A. I wish I still had a copy of that somewhere.  I can't even remember what it was about, only that I was really proud of it.
        I think the one author who inspired me the most was J.K. Rowling. This was a woman who came from rock bottom and made her way back up in the world by not giving up on Harry Potter and her story ended up being one of the best selling books of all time. And she is such an amazing human being, she lost her billionaire status because she donated to much of her money to charity.  That is what life is about.  Hoarding money doesn't make you successful. Being rich doesn't make you successful. It's what you do with the money you made, or at least the excess you don't actually need if you're lucky enough to have made millions of dollars.
        I can't say that it isn't a dream of mine to become a successful writer and be on the New York Times best seller list and have people read my stories and enjoy them.  But being able to make a living off of it would be good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment