Thursday, March 13, 2014

Day 72

"Tell us about your college experience.  Was it worth it?"

     

        The experience of going to college and growing up away from home (but not too far) and learning and having amazing experiences with new friends, and old, was absolutely, one hundred percent worth it.  Any way of educating yourself and thinking outside the box and realizing that school doesn't always have to suck is worth trying.  High school sucks for a lot of people and college is generally a more positive experience.  I am completely pro learning and thinking critically and really just expanding the knowledge you already have, and learning things you never knew existed.  Going to college can open your mind into a brand new world that is amazing.  It's not easy, but it's a learning experience that is truly worth it.  (Even if you don't graduate.  You still have the knowledge you learned, and that's what really matters.)

        However, it was not worth the $32,000 in student loan debt I cannot afford to pay back, when all I wound up with was an associate degree in "Individual Studies", and 3 semesters into my bachelors of failing hard.


        I think it's appropriate to say that some college is not for everyone.
        Community college was good for me because of my issues - my untreated ADD and anxiety disorder. But when I started at SUNY Brockport, it was like a giant slap in the face.  At FLCC and BCC (yes, I transferred community colleges because I had a baby in the middle and moved) I got A's and B's in all my psych and sociology courses.  When I was a music major, I got A's and B's in that too.  But as soon as I started at a 4yr university and was taking upper level courses (300 and 400 level), I started failing, and I mean failing hard.
        It had been about 2 1/2 years after I graduated from BCC in 2007 when I started Brockport, so I knew it was an adjustment.  I thought I studied enough and read the text and forced myself to pay attention during lectures, however, I ended up with low test grades.  My professors said, Don't worry, it's just a test, but those tests are what determine your final grade.  How can I not worry about constant D's and F's?
        Parts of my college experience were positive, and others were wake up calls that told me I wasn't cut out for four year university.  I wish I could go back and finish my Bachelor's degree, however, I do not think that will happen... at least not any time soon.
        But at least I was brave enough to try.

1 comment:

  1. Positive college thing at Bport: You met ME!!! <3

    ReplyDelete