Monday, March 31, 2014

Day 90


        I don't understand why people always want to bring you down, whether intentionally or not.  What might seem like a "realistic" point of view for you, doesn't mean it is for me.
        This weekend I was told, by someone I really don't have a high regard for their option anyway because they don't believe in dinosaurs, that having a car "won't change anything."  Now, I'm not entirely sure what this person meant by this statement.
        You live in a part of the world where it's virtually impossible to get anywhere without a car.  I live in Upstate NY.  UPSTATE NY, aka farm country.  While Rochester is a decent size city, we don't live IN the city because it's dangerous and I don't want my kid or myself to get gunned down during a drive by. Where we live, there is no underground subway or bus route that comes every 30 minutes.  A bus ride from here to the grocery store would take at least 6 hours, and that's because it only comes here twice a day.  Once in the morning and once again in the evening. And a cab ride would cost about $30, one way.
        I need a car so I can go to doctors appointments without having to rely on anyone else to bring me.  So I don't have to cancel those appointments I can't get to because my ride doesn't work out.  So I can pick my kid up from school if the school calls me and tells me he's sick.  So I can take him to the doctor.  So I have the option of leaving the house on my own schedule, not my fiance's.  So, please explain to me how me having a car "won't change anything"?
       I will have a freedom I've ever had before, and while, yes there is the possibility that I'll just get in my car one day, say fuck you to everyone in this shit hole, and drive far far away, it is my life and I can do that if I want to.
       I think people have a really hard time grasping the idea of something they've never experienced.  If it hasn't happened to them personally, or they've never lived a certain way, than obviously it can either not happen or it's not a big deal.  We take for granted what we have.  I do not, or at least I try not to.  I try to be a good person and be understanding of things, even when I have never experienced them.  I try to have an open mind about things.
       There really are some people that don't know when to keep their mouths shut because they don't know what they're talking about.  Having a car is one of 3 keys I am missing of being independent, and getting the car is the first key I need so I can get the next two.

No comments:

Post a Comment