Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Day 113

"What activities make you lose track of time?"


        I remember learning about this in cognitive psychology back at Brockport.  The "technical" term for this is called:
Flow: a state of complete immersion in an activity. "Being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you're using your skills to the utmost."
        The one thing that ALWAYS makes me completely oblivious of time is when I write.  Writing the Aubrey Nightingale story was one of the things I could do for hours and look down and realize it was 2 o'clock in the morning and that's why my eyes were hurting, when I swore I had just looked at the clock and it said 9:13 pm.  That is what happens when you are in flow, in the zone, in what is your true calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment