Friday, May 9, 2014

Day 129

Medical Malpractice 



        Sunday morning, I awoke with a severe pain in the back of my left leg.  I thought I had pulled a muscle or tore a ligament or sprained something.  Yesterday, I went to my PCP and asked him for advice on how to help it heal.   He suggested that it could be a sprain or a pulled muscle, but I should have an ultra sound on it to make sure it was not a blood clot.  He sent me over to Highland Imaging, and the entire time I am thinking, there is no way it's a blood clot, it's just a sprain.. I honestly wasn't even going to go - I had some gardening to get home to.  But after I dropped off Dylan's prescription at Wegmans I decided I better go since he had already called Highland and they were expecting me.
        We got there and the woman brought me back into the room and did her crazy impossible to read picture show, aka ultra sound, and she told me to have a seat and wait for the doctor.  Turns out, I do have a blood clot in my leg.  The technical term is DVT, or Deep Vein Thrombosis, which is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep inside a muscle of the body. It mainly affects the large veins in the lower leg and thigh.
        There is no history of blood clots in my family.  My fiance and I quit smoking over a year ago, I haven't been on an airplane since I was 19, and the only explanation they could give me was the birth control I am taking to stop the ovarian cysts from forming.  The birth control that I was told was progesterone only.  I told the doctors this, after the ultra sound lady brought me over to the ER, and they looked at my records in the computer and they all said that the birth control I was given is not progesterone only.
       So, after having that horrible experience with my OB two weeks ago, where she made me out to feel like a drug seeker while I was crying in pain in the exam room, now I find out that she gave me the wrong kind of birth control, when she TOLD me she was giving me the RIGHT kind.  Either this woman has no idea what the fuck she is doing, or she was literally trying to kill me.
        Having a blood clot increases your risks of having a stroke, lung and heart problems, if the clot moves before it can dissolve.
        So, now I have to give myself Lovenox injections in my stomach twice a day for a week, and take Warfarin (both blood thinners) for six months, all because this woman gave me the wrong prescription.
        I have already called a lawyer and am in the process of suing her and her superior.  These people are supposed to help you and make you feel safe in their care, and all they did was mistake me for a drug seeker and put my life at risk.  I am NEVER going to URMC Women's Health Practice again.


No comments:

Post a Comment