Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 232

"What do you think about stereotypes?"

        It's a love-hate relationship. They are, a lot of the time, inaccurate and condescending, but also sometimes they can be funny. Although, they tend to be a bit discriminatory. They can have truths to them if they are being referred to groups in a broader and more collective sense, but they can also be damaging when they are applied towards making judgements on individuals of said group.
        One stereotype I can relate to is "trailer trash."  A lot of people don't understand that not all trailer parks are trashy, and not all people living in them are, either. Now, because I live in one, I can tell you that, yes, some people that live here are trashy people. But I also know people who live in apartments and houses that are just as trashy, if not more. 
        So, for me, it's not where you live, it's how you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment